Coleorton Parish

Coleorton Parish in Leicestershire includes the villages of Coleorton, Coleorton Moor, Church Town
and Farm Town as well as parts of Peggs Green, Griffydam and Lount

AtoZ search | Site Map | Contact | About the website inc cookies

War Memorial

Coleorton War Memorial - repaired and cleaned in September 2010.The War memorial is located at the junction of Ashby Road and Farm Town (just up from the school)

It was originally erected in September 1922 in front of Coleorton Alms Houses at the junction of the Loughborough Road (A512) and the Rempstone Road.

During the 1970s the memorial was hit by a lorry and suffered significant damage. It was taken away to be repaired and was relocated some 3 years later in its current position on the Ashby Road.

In September 2010 it was repaired, cleaned and all the wording specially treated and it is now possible to read all of the names.

John Macdonald has put together a history of the memorial including names of those engraved on the memorial. 90 years of Coleorton War memorial (pdf) >>

The heritage wardens are collecting biographical information on those individuals listed on the war memorial from WWI and WWII.

Newsletter of the Leicestershire and Rutland War Memorials Project (pdf)

Heritage Wardens

Heritage Group

Coleorton Books

Coleorton Maps

Census

Coleorton Coal Mine Fatalities (pdf)

Coleorton cemetery audit

Ashby Museum

 

WW1 Book: "Lest we Forget” - In memory of the Fallen in the Great War includes details for the fallen of Coleorton and other communities in NW Leicestershire. Details >>