Coleorton Parish

Coleorton Parish in Leicestershire includes the villages of Coleorton, Coleorton Moor, Church Town
and Farm Town as well as parts of Peggs Green, Griffydam and Lount

AtoZ search | Site Map | Contact | About the website inc cookies

Coleorton Railways

Coleorton Railway

Railways were built to get the coal from the Coleorton mines to Leicester and other conurbations. Horse and wagons were just not up to the increase in output and demand.

The Coleorton Railway was opened in 1833 to extend the Leicester-Swannington railway from Swannington the base of the Swannington incline to Newbold. It used 4'8" gauge edgerail and horse-drawn wagons.

Since the development and demise of the new railways and tramways was closely linked to the mining industry you'll find a lot about the railways in the section on Coleorton coal-mining

Melbourne-Ashby Railway

Bridge-MJS239-geograph-2358636-by-Richard-Green

Bridge MJS2/39 takes the road from Melbourne to Coleorton over the closed Ashby de la Zouch to Derby branch railway, built by the Midland railway in 1874 and closed in 1968.
Copyright Richard Green and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

John Blunt remembers walking in the woods with his father near bridge No MJS2/39 on Melbourne Road and tells us about it's history. Bridging the Line.

Coleorton Railway Bridge

Coleorton Railway bridge passing over Aqueduct Road. The railway was used for transporting coal using horses and mules to pull the wagons. The bridge has been removed but the embankments can still be seen.