Coleorton Parish

Coleorton Parish in Leicestershire includes the villages of Coleorton, Coleorton Moor, Church Town
and Farm Town as well as parts of Peggs Green, Griffydam and Lount

AtoZ search | Site Map | Contact | About the website inc cookies

Coleorton/Lount Pottery

Coleorton Pottery was established by Sir George Beaumont in 1835 at Lount and it was operated by several different companies until 1938. The pottery site was later used for various industrial and storage purposes and is now the site of a Bellway Homes residential development.

Before the recent development an archaeological dig took place on the site by the University of Leicester Archaeological Services (ULAS). See their report here (pdf) >>. Not a great deal of broken pottery was actually found within the various trench digs, but the remnants of a former mine shaft was uncovered and has needed to be capped.

Coleorton Pottery c 1915

Coleorton Pottery c 1915

The area is rich in clay and the clay for the pots was dug locally. There are several examples of pots made at Coleorton Pottery in Ashby Museum.

For much more information about the pottery see Trevor Stewart’s book Coleorton Pottery 1835-1938. This 92-page book covers the complete history of the pottery over the 103 years it was in existence. Details of book and how to purchase >>
 

An information board has been erected at The Glaze depicting the history of Coleorton Pottery. Contents of the information board (pdf) >>

pottery01-200Some of the pottery made at Coleorton Pottery