Coleorton Parish

Coleorton Parish in Leicestershire includes the villages of Coleorton, Coleorton Moor, Church Town
and Farm Town as well as parts of Peggs Green, Griffydam and Lount

AtoZ search | Site Map | Contact | About the website inc cookies

Coleorton Churches

St Mary's Church, Coleorton St Mary's and St John's churches in Coleorton

St Mary the Virgin Church (C o E)
Off the A512 (Ashby Road) near Coleorton Hall. It's signposted from the A512.
and
St John's Chapel (C o E)
Next to Viscount Beaumont's Primary School, Ashby Road.

The Rector responsible for St Mary's and St John's is Mary Gregory who can be reached on 01530 564372 or email mary@flagstaff.org.uk. Contact her for information about the churches and services or for weddings, christenings or other requests. You can also contact Mrs Judith Smith: 01530 834586 or Mrs Beryl Capenor: 01530 222627 for more information.
See Coleorton Events page for latest services programme and other activities at St Mary’s and St John’s.

St Mary's & St John's are members of The Flagstaff Family of Churches.

Church Open Days 2018

St Mary's are holding open days during September as part of the Leicesteshire "Hello Heritage" project. The church will be open to the public to view and to hear about the interesting history. Dates are:

  • Saturday 1 September
  • Wednesday 12 September
  • Saturday 14 September

On each day from 1pm - 4pm. Parking is limited parking at the church entrance off the A512 (signposted) with a steepish footpath through the Lych Gate up to the church itself. The event is free.

See also the Coleorton Heritage History Walks >>


This is part of NW Leicestershire "Hello Heritage" event 1 - 15 September. For other walks, events and open days see www.nwleics.gov.uk/helloheritage


The church of St. Mary the Virgin is built of stone in the Gothic style. The western tower was built in the 12th century, with later addition of a beautiful spire. The tower contains 8 bells, two of which, together with a clock, were added in 1873 by Sir George Howland Beaumont, 9th bart. and other parishioners. The bells are still rung regularly. The stained glass of the west window in the tower was brought from Rouen, and presented by a former Sir George H. Beaumont. There are other windows dedicated to Mr. Merewether, Sir George H. Beaumont and to the Rev. Canon W. R. Beaumont, rector during 1864-1901. In the south aisle, above the family vault, is the tomb of Sir Henry Beaumont ob. 1607 and Lady Elizabeth. The church was restored in 1851, when the north aisle was extended, the chancel refloored and a new organ and pulpit set up. The church can accommodate 250 seated worshippers. St Mary's is a grade 2 listed building. Read details at British Listed Buildlings.



St Marys Church, Coleorton

St Marys Church, Coleorton